Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Palace of Corn

After Fred and I finished up the front 9 of golf, we headed straight to Mitchell, SD. What's in Mitchell you might ask? Why that is the home of the world's only Corn Palace. Ever since I did my state project on South Dakota in 5th grade in 1996, I had always wanted to visit. Today that dream was fulfilled. The Corn Palace is a relatively small multi-purpose building hosting the local Dakotan Wesleyan University's basketball team and various concerts and other events (David Cook is performing there in August). What sets itself apart from other small town venues is that is it completely covered in dried corn from the local harvest. Each year the city of Mitchell invests in decorating the palace with new corn murals. I know it sounds CORNY, but I was always so interested to see such a peculiar roadside attraction. I had even written about my desire to go to the Corn Palace in an application during college. But without further adieu, here are some pictures...


And here are a couple of pictures of Fred and me with Zeke a tourist photo op near the palace:

And of course, I had to buy the obligatory t-shirt and optional hat:

And here are some more pictures that we took during the trip. It might be a while till we post. Tomorrow is Yellowstone!

Fred at Firehouse Brewing Co.

Fred at Rapid City's Art Alley

George, Tom, Teddy, Abe and Chuck

Sunset in the Car

Thanks for all your prayers

--Stay thirsty my friends.

2 comments: